Chatbots Magazine Become a Writer Intro to Chatbots

What industries will help bots gain mass adoption?

(john.pereira) #21

We are focusing on enterprise bots that provide agent support for typical workflow support. Consumer facing bots pose too much of an open world scenario which is too challenging too model at least on our client budgets.

(reinhard) #22

industries with complex products like fintec, insurtec are super use cases. On the other hand trust is so important in these industries that I doubt bots will easily gain big adoption (Euro perspective).
Marketplaces with little perishable goods and expertise/recommendation needed, to me they are a bigger driver (tech products, clothing, pharma, )

(g.holubowicz) #23

News outlets will probably help to spread the word about Chatbots amongst people and no doubt it’ll be a new way to access news in 1 or 2 years. The Washington Post is doing is own chatbot on Messenger, Techcrunch is even a chatfuel partner, Quartz did an app that is based on a conversational interface… and there’s many more coming.

(ashley.e.cribb) #24

Whereas I believe Fintech … Gaming … Tech in general will be great. One aspect that I am leveraging is education. Working at a University and also being a graduate student I am working on a side project to incorporate chatbots into the University and later go from a level 1 chatbot to incorporating level 2 AI within the University. The idea primarily is to have an “assistant” so that you ask a question and it finds the information for you… There are so many forms … websites … and people use “google” to find information. Plus we have external knowledge blended with internal resources … To be able to find the right information within a few seconds instead of weeding through google results would shed hours off of a person’s day. So, I may be biased, but, higher education and education in general will be a great opportunity for Chatbots.

(stephen.thompson) #25

Agree with this. I work in higher ed that’s facing tighter budgets so I think that cost saving could be a strong driver

(Spencer Yang) #26

The industries that we work with clients in are media, software, finance, government and logistics. We are definitely biased but these are the industries we like to work with.

Other verticals that are cool: telco and travel

(rajesh.bindal) #27

What about freelance professionals… ? Doctors, home tutors, plumbers, electricians they don’t have their website usually but get business from social media, contacts or aggregation sites. Having a bot will help them in easy connectivity with their clients.

(pmkpinto) #28

Not a specific industry, but I think that bot celebrities could have an important role to help bots gain mass adoption.

(omyhaylovych) #29

Probably competing with Google, so Search Engines industry )

(dmiller) #30

No magic here. Enterprise-oriented Bots or Intelligent Assistants will be popularized through frequent, rewarding use. Financial services come up because that industry is being transformed by the move to digital commerce and a conversational front-end is a natural touchpoint. Travel, dining and local entertainment would be next thanks to the immediate ability to support decision making regarding “what should I do now?” Retail is getting more savvy in this respect (what to buy now… coupled with the entry of Amazon’s Alexa and (soon) Google’s Assistant. Returning to entertainment, support of streamed content delivery is pretty obvious as well. These are domains that are frequently consulted and where the likelihood of a successful outcome is high.

(josh) #31

By nature it’s conversational. The web and apps replaced the role of the travel agent for most, but the experience was always clunky on the web. There was always too much effort to get what you wanted. Bots can replace travel agents too, but with a better user experience than that which was promised by the web, or mobile apps.

-> I need a flight from Toronto to New York on Tuesday, returning the following Friday
-> Add a hotel
-> Remind me when my flight leaves

These are simple examples. But bots can already handle more complex requests in a fraction of the time that it would take you to get a desired result using the web and with far less cognitive overhead required by the user:

-> I have a budget of $1000. Recommend an all-inclusive for 2 adults. We want to go on December 10 for 5 days, leaving from Chicago.

Intent: budget - variable: $1000
Intent: number of people - variable: 2 adults
Intent: vacation type = all inclusive
Intent: when - variable: December 10
Intent: how long - variable: 5 days
Intent starting point - variable: Chicago

If a consumer doesn’t provide all of the information the bot needs to process a request, a bot can ask the user questions to get the information needs, but questions and responses follow a conversational paradigm that travel agents and travellers have used universally long before the Internet.

(brian) #32

Just my opinion, but on a new medium, I think the adoption is based on the perceived risk of the user, which is why, even though fintech bots may be extremely useful, mass adoption will be later.

For example, if you look back to the start of the internet, or the start of the app era as corollaries, startup adoption waves went something like this (I realize that this is extremely generic and excludes a lot of edge cases to the contrary):

Early-Stage adoption: Games, Media/News/Content Sharing, small e-Commerce purchases - basically anything where a large number of users would feel comfortable trying without risk of losing money/getting hacked/etc.
-Internet Examples: News sites, amazon/eBay
-App Examples: Angry Birds/Words with Friends; Uber/Wish

Mid-Stage adoption: Medium e-Commerce purchases (~$1000), social networks (which require a decent level of platform adoption/social proof)
-Internet Examples: FB/Twitter, Autotrader
-App Examples: Snapchat, Airline Apps

Later-Stage adoption: FinTech, Gambling, Large e-Commerce purchases
-Internet Examples: Earnest/Affirm/Lending Club (online B2C lending), Pokerstars (online gambling), OpenDoor (buying a house online)
-App Examples: Robinhood (Stock trading app), Fanduel/Draft Kings (fantasy sports apps), Beepi (buying a car via an app)

I realize there are caveats/exceptions (for instance Paypal was an early fintech adoption, but I would argue that because it was peer-to-peer (rather than B2C), people were more likely to trust it), but that’s just my two cents :slight_smile:

(jwhollier) #33

I’ve been in the insurance business for 10 years and truly believe this service industry is just ripe for bots. I would like to explore ideas on how to integrate bots into my business but really have no idea where to start. Maybe this thread is a good place to start.
Best, Joe

(TaijaQ) #34

I believe the education industry will be the future of bots, and bring them to the hands of more and more people. There’s so much potential there. I recently wrote an article about bots and learning.

(Joseph Burchett) #35

If I could talk to a bot to quickly get my I insurance info and even pay it that be amazing! It’s pain in the butt getting it and I hate installing insurance apps on my phone

The gieco insurance app is like 136mb and I rarely ever use it… 90% of the time I forget my login info.

(Iuri Genovesi) #36

I would add extra “Artist/band” to this list. Almost all music artists in the world have fanpages, instagrams and such. Lots of fans ask stuff around on the pages, being able to ask things to bots would be amazing.

(namratanagar) #37

Healthcare,Education,ART fields stand a good chance apart from various ecom businessess.

(nigelburke) #38

Interesting suggestions sid.

I’m also looking at the HR space and have been playing around with an onboarding bot at

Would appreciate any feedback

(vickireyzelman) #39

I believe commerce and travel have great capabilities here.

(indrek.vainu) #40

From our experience of having developed several bots already it will be in customer service.