What are the new titles for the Hustlers, Hackers & Designers of the Chatbot universe?

@aiden recently wrote an interesting article for Venture Beat (goo.gl/DJ38pc) that posited the changing roles, titles, responsibilities and overall maekup of startups in the new chatbot frontiers.

The last paragraph in his thought-provoking piece was as follows:

Does all this mean it is time to update startup teams? If so, we need to confront perhaps the most important aspect of any tech industry change: pithy lingo. I humbly suggest this new holy trinity: the Evangelist, the Analyst, and the Author.

Think you got a better trinity terminology? Let me know at aiden@castingai.com

I’d be interested to read the credible alternatives members of this nascent chatbot realm come up with myself.

Beep-Bop-Boop @sat bot

2 Likes

Yeah I am still waiting for people to take the bait on that. Here are a couple others I came up with during the draft of the article, maybe this will get some people thinking.

**The Hustler, Data-cruncher, and Writer **

Advocate, Analyst, Author

Campaigner, Counter, Conversationalist

4 Likes

Chatbot author extraordinaire?

I’ve taken more of an editorial role with creative writers reporting to me with content, which I then edit and structure into the bot’s narrative.

I need a cool job title. Chat curator?

3 Likes

Hey Jess, always a pleasure. Off the top of my head…

Chatbotter-in-chief

Speechwriter for Robots

AI Editor

What do you think Jess?

2 Likes

I’m going with chatbotter-in-chief!

Love it.

1 Like

Awesome! That was my favorite too

2 Likes

“Conversation Architect” is the official title at our company, this is for the people working with clients to build out conversations. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey Mike, I dig it, sounds prestigious. Would be curious how building for clients is going? What are clients generally looking to get out of chatbots? Do they want them built for standalone projects or as an addition an existing business model? Also do they generally expect too much of Chatbots given the current technical constraints?

1 Like

It’s going alright, we are doing Enterprise sales, and those sales cycles take forever. Then after we get projects the payments are 75-120 days out, so next year will be a good year for us, this year seems like we are hemorrhaging cash. haha

As far as what they want to get out of a bot, it’s all over the place honestly. Some simply want a CNN like bot that regurgitates content, others want us to build IRL Marketing stunts, others want free flowing conversation bots. The last one is where we try to steer people away from honestly.

We try to stay away from certain terms, AI, NLP, bots all seem to have a real negative resonation with them honestly. Conversation and engagement is what we focus on which is less about the technology and more general marketing stuff they already understand.

Does that answer your questions?

1 Like

Very much so, interesting stuff, thanks Mike!

Let’s see - without spending TOO MUCH time:

• UX wrangler
  • Ontologist
  • Knowledge Base maven
2 Likes

Ok, here’s what I like :

• Conversational Experience (CX) Designer
  • Bot Wrangler or Bot Master
  • AI Jedi :smiley:
2 Likes

For what it’s worth I refer to myself as a ‘Conversation Designer’ and it seems to stick.

2 Likes

Botclasmist :smiley:

Seriously though, author === personality engineer?

We’ve got some of the standard titles like Director of UX but we also have Conversation Engineers, Conversation Designers, and, uh, Psychologist (who really worked as a psychologist for some 20 years, so that wasn’t terribly innovative).

2 Likes

“Bot wrangler” that’s amazing! haha

2 Likes

Personality engineer is pretty profound and accurate. It’s true its less about the words and more what they culminate to, a personality. I have some interesting conversations recently about whether bots should have backstories that inform their personality, not unlike characters from screenwriting. Would this extra degree of depth making them feel more real and thus make the bot more “sticky”?

1 Like

I guess CS/Psych double majors would have great job prospects then! The obvious question is, what personality type would be best? Or would it vary by industry? By department? Would the MBTI (or some similar model) be used as a template? I believe there s nothing to stop bots from switching personalities at will, how does one achieve this without humans feeling like they are being “played”?

For context, when our team is developing bots we actually develop a full backstory and personality of the bot as if they were a living, breathing human. We create their job, siblings, fears, goals, daily habits. We know what their parents do and how they were bought up.

It’s quite a lot of detail, but we use that in creating a personality profile. However - most of the time this info is never represented in the actual bot, even if you ask it directly.

It’s more of a planning tool to develop a personality - and then how this translates into dialogue.

We do this so our writers can stop and think: Would this ‘person’ say this?

Interested to hear how others approach this? @aiden

1 Like