Chatbots Magazine Become a Writer Intro to Chatbots

Tool/method to design conversation "diagram"?

(s.fourault) #1

Prototyping is pretty easy when you take an “iconic” conversation to illustrate your key functionalities.
But how to draw a complex conversation diagram where the conversation is not linear ?
The perfect tool would be sort of mindmap tool to link the steps of the conversation but also representing the intent, the probabilities, the context…
(For example when you have to make a diagnostic, you ask a question, then the level of trust of the different solutions possible changes, so you determine which questions to ask after)

(augustodesign) #2

I’m using Twine, a tool for write non-linear narratives

(brian) #3 or are likely your best bet

(SatBot. Conversational Designer (AKA Writer)) #4

Alasdair Monk just got his BotFrame hunted. If it helps any.

Keep in mind he’s continuously adding features, so might be one to keep an eye out on. Peace.

(Chris Greenough) #5

Some good free tools that we previously used for process flows and drafting information architecture are and Freemind.

(hugh) #6

For Slack bots Walkiebot is a huge time saver when constructing bot conversations. I’ve been using it to create screengrabs for our Help Centre. Hopefully that meets your need for a conversation diagram?

Also, a quick tip - if you need to upload a custom avatar for profiles in Walkiebot use Base64 encode.

(@tomhewitson - conversation designer) #7

I tend to use a 3 step process:

1. Flow diagram
  2. Write a script doc including any business logic
  3. Prototype specific interactions using chatfuel

I’ll iterate repeatedly while building and after launch as new flows are added and user data becomes available.

(Krzysztof Wagner) #8

I use because it is easy to use and integrates with Google Drive and Atlassian Confluence.

(delder) #10

I know this isn’t going to handle the “flow” visually for branching of conversations but here is a great mockup tool.

Digital Breed has a pretty good jquery option that shows a mockup conversation in action.
Check it out at:

Here it is on Github if you are interested:

(Ari Zilnik) #11

As others have suggested, I’ve used Twine, as well as BPMN (don’t recommend). When I’m just starting out, nothing beats a whiteboard and post-its I find. Then I digitize, which is helpful for tweaking. It sounds like there might be an opportunity for more tooling to create workflows and conversations for bots. Have yet to see anything compelling out in the market sadly.

(sharanabasava.hundek) #12

IBM Watson Conversation is also good one to draw dynamic conversation flow.

(Nas) #13

I’m using Biz-Agi (free version). It’s not made for Bots specifically, but you can make great flows that include interaction.
Another - more sketchy - one is Cmap tools. Also free.

(Artemy Malkov) #14

What do you guys think about creating an open dialog language (DSL)? :scroll:
That may be much better way to create scripts rather that use visual tools. The difference is similar to UML vs coding.

Here is an example:

- hello!
- do you need assistance? >>
  - sweet! I can help.
  - no problem.

What do you think?

(ianp) #15

How would this be different from existing tools like Rive or SuperScript?

(Artemy Malkov) #16

SuperScript does not look alive on GitHub.
But Rive is quite active, thanks for the link. did not know about Rive before.

Did you use one of them? What is your feedback on those?

(ianp) #17

FWIW there has been a lot of renewed interest in SS recently, I expect to see a lot of activity on GitHub in the near future. But yeah, Rive seems to have quite an active community around it.

(@tomhewitson - conversation designer) #18

@ArtemyMalkov I’ve been working on something along these lines - scripting is much more flexible and efficient than a flow diagram for creating bot scripts. Rive is decent (HiPoncho was written using it) but there’s too much syntax for my liking - I want something that’s a cross between Rive and Stylus. Haven’t come across SuperScript before, will give it a try.

(s.fourault) #19

Thanks everyone for all the tool you suggested :slight_smile:

I loved Twinery and to design conversation journey. But finally my choice goes to RealTimeBoard, a digital whiteboard where I illustrate steps with postit and play with the different arrows to create scenarios !

It gives me something like this :

(Jeff Miller) #20

I’ve been playing with Mindmeister, which is really just a mindmapping tool, and a good one.
Psyched to check out RealTimeBoard.

(Chris Greenough) #21

When you have multiple chatbots and a nextwork of chatbot authors (like we do), the Google Drive integration makes organising all of this very simple. :slight_smile: