Chatbots Magazine Become a Writer Intro to Chatbots

Giving Bots a Personality?

(pmkpinto) #21

Hey @ari would love to read what you have to share about that. Thanks!

(Ari Zilnik) #22

Hey @pmcpinto ! I actually just published the story finally, would love to know what you think. Thanks for the interest. Here it is:

(rakshay) #23

@ari great post! I am a student at UofM and this fall break we visited many design consulting firms who spoke a lot about designing brand personality. Giving that personality a voice through a bot is awesome! Love how you played the hand of god and used personality traits of famous people as building blocks to Emoji Salad’s personality.

My team and I are working on a healthcare Bot. She is live in India, collecting patient info that would have been normally missed in consultations due to immense constraints in the healthcare system. We had to build her to be as robotic as possible: patients felt uncomfortable giving medical data to a bot with a personality. Interesting that for us we had to design for a lack of personality, which wasn’t hard at all honestly.

I guess what industry the Bot is in, what function are important design constraints for personality design.

(Ari Zilnik) #24

@rakshay really interesting insight about designing for no personality. How did you get to that decision, what testing did you do with patients? Really curious to learn more about it

(rakshay) #25

@ari Would love to share insights: First some context: our app connects doctors with patients; we use the Chatbot (human-machine) to collect information before the (human-human) conversation happens. The doctor can use these extra data points for decision making.

Starting with the name of the Chatbot. If we named her ‘Geeta’, a common Indian name, patients would not share any information or interact with her.

To solve this we went to the field and observed. We realised patients shared all their information without any apprehension to the nurse or the doctor’s assistant. (surprise surprise) Once patients see the word “Doctor” there is a halo effect of trust. We changed the name to ‘Doctor Assistant’. Boom response rate shot up.

Second, with respect to the style of responses: data showed that having a more questionnaire based structure rather than a more conversational style of asking questions had a better response rate. This is still a work in progress.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Giving the BOT a personality is silent passion of our entire tech team and many times we let this get in the way of what our user actually NEEDs. To see the BOT community designing personalities for entertainment, travel etc. is really exciting.

(Ari Zilnik) #26

@rakshay nice work and nice insights! Might want to do a writeup about your process as well!

(Nei Fonseca) #27

Hey @ari great article.

Really liked, gave me some nice insights. And i’m finding out more and more that we can’t build a great bot without a good personality and for this storytelling helps a lot to creat the bot persona and to understand the context.

And great “celebrities board”. I used similar techniques but in brand image researchs and it makes total sense to use for chatbots personality.

Thanks e congratulation! :grinning:

(Ari Zilnik) #28

Thanks @nei.fda! I appreciate it.

(indrek.vainu) #29

Yes, personality is what makes the conversation with a bot enjoyable and keeps it going. Here’s how we approach it.

As a company developing bots for various businesses in Europe and in the customer service space our methodology has been focused on understanding person’s intent and tailoring the response accordingly. So when a person is curious we respond one way, when a person is angry we respond another way. It comes down to profiling responses and having the bot react to that. We have developed various scenarios and responses to different emotional states that users can have. With scriptwriters we produce workflows and conversation structure that makes the conversation more enjoyable.

In addition a bulk of our in-house AI team is working on deep learning techniques to actually develop intelligence so that the bots can themselves assess the sentiment of the conversation and to give answers that make most sense at any given time (relevancy + personality style). This includes analysing conversations and using our own neural networks to train models that are capable of understanding user intent and style.

(l.r.henrickson) #30

Mark Marino wrote an article in 2014 about the implications of having bots represent racial/ethnic identities through embodied performance (basically, through embedded ‘personalities’). Definitely worth a read for anyone interested in this thread. And it’s open access!
Mark Marino, ‘The Racial Formation of Chatbots’, CLC Web: Comparative Literature and Culture, 16.5 (2014)