Getting traffic to your chatbot from FB Ads 🤖

Hey guys,

Let’s talk about getting users from FB Ads, hacks and tricks, stats and results :smile_cat:

Have you run any FB ad campaigns for your chatbot?

5 Likes

I ran a few labour << (Canadian spelling) intensive campaigns encouraging people to comment below then used the message button in the comment to initiate the conversation. Early testing to show clients they can build conversations in Messenger.

1 Like

Over the summer, I used standard facebook/instagram newsfeed ads with a link to a website, and just put the link to our specific Messenger URL as the website (so messenger.com/t/yourcompanyname) which allowed us to initiate the conversation directly from an ad. You actually don’t need to do that anymore, as FB has made conversion even easier with their Sept 12th update allowing you to target directly from FB ads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea!

I’ve also found it helpful to include a discount code or special code (like text “gram”) in the caption of the post.

4 Likes

Well, thanks for your comments! Really interesting ways :slight_smile: what about CPC and a cost for engaged user from FB ads? Does anyone have this numbers already?

1 Like

Brian do check, if the link from the advertisement gives you the “Get Started button”. Remember? It doesn’t show us the get started button when we search the bot in desktop messenger?

1 Like

Yep - that just seems to be a bug with the desktop version of messenger.com, but doesn’t affect the outcome of the ad driving users to the bot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still hard to say for a few reasons. Messenger ads & bots are so new that there’s much less competition in those FB ad channels for ad space (as opposed to say, app install ads). Right now the CPC/CAC is really low. We pivoted our company from an app to a bot company (but with a similar concept - concert ticket discovery & sales). We used to pay over $7 for a paying user using a FB install ad, as opposed to <$1 to drive the user to the bot. Some of that has to do with friction (much harder to convince someone to install an app), and my guess is some of it is driven by Facebook discounting the ad prices for FB Messenger (it’s possible that Messenger Bot ads get preferential treatment since FB is trying to build up exposure/fix discovery of bots on its platform). Either way, the takeaway is that acquisition is abnormally cheap (but won’t be for long) so I would exploit that as best you can :grin:

3 Likes

Hey Brian, cool, thanks for sharing your thoughts about FB ads! We’ll try to make our first campaign and I’m going to share some results with you guys.

1 Like

Great insights @brian, thanks for sharing. Quick question, is there a way for the bot to know from which ad the user came from?

1 Like

Hi Philippe - yes, there is. Assuming you have FB analytics set up, you can view the ‘replies’ metric in ads manager - more info here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome, will look further into this. Thanks!

Philippe Dionne
Founder
Dialog Analytics https://dialoganalytics.com

1 Like