Chatbots Magazine Become a Writer Intro to Chatbots

Building a Product that is a Bot

(Samudra Neelam Bhuyan) #1

Hi all

Most of the conversation around Bots seems to be centered around the tech for bots, as opposed to focusing on the “product” that the bot is. I’d love to know how people are thinking about that topic!

I wrote this post (“Building a Product that is a Bot”) a few days ago, and would love to hear feedback from the community.

Looking forward to the discussion!

(indrek.vainu) #2

One of the interesting things we’ve noticed is what you call the “irreversible shifts in behavior patterns”. The thing that gets some (not all but some, especially those who have time on their hands and are bored online) people excited when they use bots is the character of the bot. So far, technology has not had character - it is just fast, or sleek or pretty or slow or something else, but it lacked charisma (it was very non-human). Now, a bot can have charisma. And that sparks interest. Call it the tamagotchi effect or something similar. The fact that something is talking back, has an attitude, challenges you intellectually (even very basic now) gets people hooked and is a good starting point for developing useful services and products on top of that first interest.

(Jeff Miller) #3

An interesting, well-written article, thanks for sharing.

I’m all for more product discussion around here, and hope to contribute to that soon – the fact is, I’m so busy trying to define my product-that-is-abot that I haven’t been able to come up for air!

Truth is, I’m a very experienced UX/design/product person, and I LOVE the way that bots bring some very elemental design questions to the forefront, the kinds of questions that are often obscured by tech and features.

No matter how you slice it, a bot experience is a very deliberate give and take, moment by meaningful moment.
So our multidisciplinary teams now have to rally around ALL the meaningful moments (as we always should), and see how they hang together as a product.
And I believe the conversational nature of these things is good for multidisciplinary teams.
That give and take can be as subjective as “layout” or “content,” but there’s an easy common understanding there that facilitates exciting collaborations.

There’s still an understandable, natural tension between the “technology product” and the “experience product.” Which one leads the other? Bringing these into balance is a constant exercise, and I’m sure I’ll have more to say about that process in future posts :wink: