Build Framework from scratch or go with existing options?

Hi Masters :slight_smile: !

I’m a Startup Founder (Mindsety) that goes with the philosophy of DIY first. I need guidance from the community in how to create my bot.

The platform is for personal development. I want to create a bot that gives you specific quotes depending your emotion and by analyzing the tone in your text ( emotion API , LUIS ). Also help you set goals and synchronize them with Google , Wonderlist etc. This is our First MVP. Willing to focus on just one functionality (quotes/goals) depending on the difficulty.

Now, I READ almost every article about the subject and still confused about which platform to choose (botframework,wit,api…) . Or just start from scratch with Node.js (intermediate but can learn) and Some deep learning Framework. Obiously I want the bot to evolve and do complex tasks -also attract more people for my startup- However this is where I am at now and need to make my dream of making the world a better place true (self-help anywhere,anytime) .

I would highly appreciate your help and guidance ! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve faced the same dilemma not so long ago when we started building our bot. Here is what I learned from this experience :

1. For the NLP part (intent etection, NER etc) I highly recommend you get started with some Saas solution like wit.ai, api.ai, recast.ai or maybe LUIS (haven’t look to much into that one). In my opinion, you will have to invest way to much time and effort into some home-made machine learning classifier (I mean just learning how to use the tools can take weeks).

2. For the conversation manager part of the bot (the core), I think starting from scratch with just some if/else is a good way to learn and probably the most intuitive way to build your first bot. It will also force you to use the API of the channel you want to deploy your bot on (Graph API for Messenger for instance). Regarding Botframework I have to admit it seems convenient at first but I feel like it does not help that much while forcing you to use Microsoft Bot Connector (some kind of dashboard to manage your bots). Would not recommend.

Just my 2 cents on the question maybe some will disagree with me.
Cheers! :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply and advice :slight_smile:

I think you’ve made some pretty good points there. Concerning the conversation manager which programming language would be suited for it ( Node.js ? )

Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

My pleasure :slight_smile:

Yeah I think Node is a good language to get started, there is some well documented libraries that will proove useful during the development of your bot. A quick list of some of them that comes to mind : request, restify, http, fs etc.

Good luck and have fun building your bot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your insights ! can’t wait to finish my MVP :slight_smile:
Bot Revolution is here